Vermont Receives $249,000 State Trade Expansion Award The Agency of Commerce & Community Development received grant funding through the SBA State Trade Expansion Program (STEP). The federal-state partnership initiative aims to increase the number of small businesses seeking to export their products into foreign markets and/or expand export activity through trade shows, trade missions, market research, and export education. STEP opens the gate to access the vast markets in neighboring Canada. Find out more about eligibility and the application process ACCD International Trade Assistance.
There’s still funding available! CNPP Assistance for Small Businesses
The Vermont Community Navigator Pilot Program (CNPP) is reopening for all businesses that meet the basic eligibility criteria. There is no income/LMI eligibility limitation at this time. Would your business benefit from a website redesign, a new point-of-sale system, or other technical assistance? Visit the website Here. Apply: https://www.cognitoforms.com/BDCC1/CNPPClientIntakeForm.
VMEC Hosts Panel Discussion with NVDA & Other Regional Development Corporation Leaders / Oct 26, 2:00-3:00 pm
October is Manufacturing Month. Vermont Regional Development Corporations serve every geographic region of the state and serve as “satellites” of the VT Department of Economic Development. They provide local knowledge and facilitate broad assistance in their regions. Hear how they assist manufacturing businesses, develop partnership opportunities, and network through the manufacturing community! Register Here for the Zoom meeting.
2022 VT Small Business Profile Available
The SBA Office of Advocacy has released the 2022 Small Business Profiles for Vermont. The profile contains snapshots about the businesses that create jobs and help grow our local economies. Vermont has 78,883 small businesses, most of which are sole proprietorships. They employ 157,131 workers which is 60.2% of the state’s workforce. View the profile Here. To view the Small Business Profiles for other states, visit the webpage.
Rural Innovation Network News
Congratulations to Whiteout Solutions on being selected to participate in the second annual CORI Virtual Pitch Event which celebrates the innovation and entrepreneurship happening across rural America!
Hospitality HVAC Assistance Program
The VT Public Service Department is seeking proposals for the Hospitality HVAC Assistance Program. The program offers relief to businesses in the hospitality, tourism, and travel services industry that were negatively impacted by Covid-19. Funds granted through ARPA (American Rescue Plan Act) are for repairs, replacements, or upgrades to heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems. The goal is energy-cost reduction/stabilization. Grants can be up to $25,000. VT Dept Public Service Hospitality HVAC – RFP
VEOC Webinar: Introduction to Broad-Based Employee Ownership, Oct. 21, 12:00-1:00 pm
This brief presentation will cover broad-based employee ownership from Employee Stock Ownership Plans (ESOPs), to Worker Cooperatives and Employee Ownership Trusts. Register
Seeking Applicants for Two Planning Positions at NVDA
NVDA has openings for highly skilled, self-motivated full-time Planners. The positions will remain open until filled. To learn more about NVDA visit www.nvda.net. No phone calls please.
- Municipal & Regional Planner with a planning background and desire to work in a rural context with a staff of dedicated professionals, NVDA’s Commissioners, and municipal officials. Municipal & Regional Senior Planner
- Regional Transportation Planner to work with Senior Transportation Planner to coordinate and implement NVDA’s annual transportation work program in collaboration with other planning staff and local communities. Ideal for an individual interested in all aspects of rural transportation planning. NVDA Transportation Planner
Kingdom Trails is Hiring
Kingdom Trails has openings for a variety of year-round and seasonal positions: Signage and Mapping Manager, Retail Supervisor, LEAP AmeriCorps Education Coordinator, Welcome Center Information Specialist, and Trail Ambassador. Kingdomtrails.org/employment.
Kingdom Career Connect, October 4
For area 7th and 8th grade students. A day of hands-on career workshops at NVU-Lyndon featuring workforce presenters. www.vsac.org/vermont-career-connect
2022 MFG Day/Month – October 7th & all month long!
MFG Day/Month is held annually on the first Friday in October with events that continue throughout the month. The nationwide celebration helps show the reality of modern manufacturing careers by encouraging companies and educational institutions to open their facilities to students, parents, teachers, and community leaders. Learn more MFG Day
2022 VLCT Town Fair, October 6 & 7
Getting Together to Get More Done – Killington Grand Resort. Connect with municipal colleagues from around the state. This year’s training sessions focus on Governance, Infrastructure, Partnerships and Operations. Register at VLCT.org/TF22
Downtown Celebration with Senator Patrick Leahy, October 10
Rusty Parker Memorial Park, Waterbury, 1:00-5:00 pm. Senator Leahy has put Vermont’s historic downtowns at the center of his economic development agenda and he’s championed investments in preservation programs in nearly every downtown in the state. Everyone’s invited. Food, live music, drinks, and a toast to Senator Leahy and other Downtown Champions. The event is free and open to the public, but RSVPs are appreciated. RSVP
Weatherization for All! Free NEK Button Up Event, October 15
Old Stone House Museum & Historic Village, Brownington, 10:00 am-12:00 pm. Hear from energy experts and learn about resources making affordable energy efficiency upgrades. Free museum admission & tour at 12pm. For more information visit Buttonupvermont.org. Questions? Allie Webster email@example.com.
2022 Conservation Summit, October 15
Association of VT Conservation Commissions: Resilient Communities & Landscapes – Planning for a Climate-Changes Future, Lake Morey Resort, Fairlee, VT Open to everyone interested in how municipalities can respond to climate change. Register Here
Northern VT University Fall Career & Internship Fair, October 20
2022 REV Conference & Expo, October 27 & 28
Our Clean Energy Future in a Changing World The in-person renewable energy event will be held at the DoubleTree Hilton in South Burlington. View the Agenda and register REV2022
2022 State & Local Government Municipal Day, October 28
National Life Building, Montpelier, 8:30 am-3:45 pm. Participate in a day-long event of workshops and networking opportunities. Online pre-registration is required. Municipal Day
Career Training & Adult Education Courses
Two Free Courses at NVU & VTC for Vermonters
- Northern Vermont University Center for Professional Studies https://www.northernvermont.edu/academics/non-traditional-students/center-for-professional-studies/ Take two Free courses at NVU while funding lasts. Select courses and training options through the Center for Professional Studies. This opportunity is available for Fall 2022 and Spring 2023 semesters. Visit vtworkers.vsc.edu to learn more and sign up! NVU also offers career advancement and non-degree education through online platforms and traditional learning. Contact Ann Nygard firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vermont Tech – Continuing Education & Workforce Development www.vtc.edu If eligibility criteria is met, act fast! This legislature-funded program at VT Tech and the VT State College System offers two Free courses to upskill and reskill Vermont’s workforce. First come, first served until funding lasts. vtworkers.vsc.edu VTC also offers one-day seminars, online training, short certificate programs, and a variety of training opportunities for in-demand healthcare careers. Visit VTC Healthcare website Here.
North Country Career Center, Newport https://nc3.ncsuvt.org/adult-education
Contact Marina Cole (802) 334-5469 x3305 email@example.com
St. Johnsbury Academy https://stjacademy.org/adult-education/
Contact Sandra Mings Lamar (802) 748-7738 firstname.lastname@example.org
Lyndon Institute Career & Technical Education Center https://www.lyndoninstitute.org/academics/career-technical-education Contact Jeremy White, email@example.com
Canaan School CTE Program https://www.canaanschools.org/career-technical-center/ Contact Chris Damato (802) 266-8910 firstname.lastname@example.org
Sterling College School of the New American Farmstead
- Sterling College offers tuition funding for Veterans interested in continuing education courses in agroecological farming and craft food production. For more information email Nakasi Fortune email@example.com